Many clients and prospects understand the concepts of global mobility, relocation, and the role of the relocation management company (RMC) in supporting these processes. However, we often find some general confusion surrounding these terms. To help clarify, this blog post provides a general overview of both concepts.
What is the difference between relocation and global mobility?
Relocation typically refers to the process of moving from one location to another, either within the same country or across international borders. The focus is on the physical move itself, including finding a new home, packing and transporting belongings, and settling into a new location.
Global mobility, on the other hand, encompasses a broader range of activities related to international assignments and transfers. This can include short-term assignments, long-term expatriate placements, and frequent business travel. Global mobility can also involve complex issues such as visa and immigration requirements, tax and social security implications, and cultural adaptation.
While relocation is a one-time event, global mobility can involve ongoing movement and transitions over an extended period. Global mobility also involves a more strategic approach to talent management, with a focus on leveraging the skills and experience of a diverse, mobile workforce to achieve business objectives.
How Does A Relocation Management Company Support These Processes?
A relocation management company (RMC) is a business that provides comprehensive assistance and support to individuals a company is relocating from one location to another. RMCs specialize in managing all aspects of the relocation process, including finding a new home, packing and shipping belongings, arranging for transportation, helping with visa and immigration requirements, providing cultural training, and settling-in support for the destination location.
In essence, RMCs act as a “one-stop-shop” for all the various services and support needed to ensure a smooth and successful relocation. They can also help to reduce the stress and complexity of the relocation process, allowing relocating employees to focus on their work and family during the transition.
RMCs typically work with a wide range of clients, including corporations, government agencies, and individual employees. They may provide services for both U.S. domestic and international relocations and may also specialize in specific industries or regions of the world.
There are many benefits to using a relocation management company (RMC), including:
- Time and Cost Savings: An RMC can help streamline the relocation process, saving individuals and companies both time and money. By managing all the various aspects of the relocation, from finding a new home to arranging transportation, an RMC can reduce the overall time and effort required for the relocation process.
- Reduced Stress and Complexity: Relocating can be a complex and stressful process, particularly for those who are not familiar with the destination location. An RMC can help to reduce the stress and complexity of the relocation by providing knowledge, guidance, and support throughout the process.
- Access to Expertise: RMCs have extensive experience and expertise in managing relocations, including knowledge of local markets and regulations. This expertise can be particularly valuable for international relocations, where there may be significant differences in culture and business practices.
- Consistency and Quality: RMCs can help to ensure consistency and quality throughout the relocation process by working with a network of trusted providers and vendors. This can help to ensure that all aspects of the relocation are handled professionally and to a high standard.
- Improved Employee Satisfaction: For corporations, using an RMC can help to improve employee satisfaction by providing comprehensive support throughout the relocation process. This can help to ensure a smooth and successful transition for employees and their families, reducing the risk of disruption or dissatisfaction.
Have any questions about how Aires can assist your company? Please reach out to your Aires representative.