We are pleased to continue our series examining country immigration requirements with a focus on China this month. In this post, we cover the key requirements for obtaining a Work and Residence Permit (Offshore) in China.
- Document collection
- Document conditioning, if applicable
- Medical examination
- Work Permit notification application
- Z entry visa application
- Temporary Residence Registration
8.Medical examination verification
- Work permit applications
- Residence permit application
Pre-arrival: 1-7 months
Post-arrival: 1-2 months
Primary Employee Documents
· Police clearance certificate
· Employment experience letter
· Application form
Primary Employer Documents
· Company business license
· Certificate of approval
· Power of attorney
· Invitation letter
· Employment contract
· Company registration book
· Company SAFEA username and password
· Tax-paying commitment letter
· Assignment letter
The work permit card is issued with a 5-year validity, and the residence permit is issued for 1 year. Renewals are possible.
Work and residence permits must be formally cancelled prior to the employee’s final departure from China.
Red Flags and Special Criteria
- Onshore/post-arrival change of status option also available
- Chinese entity must be electronically registered at the corporate level
- Applicants are categorized by ranking of personal data, such as job level, salary, education, etc.; top category applicants (A) can enter China on a business visa then apply for a post-arrival change of status
- Category A applicants enjoy more streamlined process with fewer required documents
- Age caps are strictly enforced
Immigration practice and policy vary by province; applications submitted for locations outside of Shanghai or Beijing can be more complex and lengthy.
For additional information, please contact Aires Immigration.
Disclaimer: Any immigration advice contained herein is subject to change at any time. All immigration rules, processes, and decisions are made at the discretion of the relevant government authorities and are outside of Aires’ control.